The necropolis

MOZIA NECROPOLIS

Its tombs date back to the end of the 7th and the 6th century B.C.  The bodies were both burnt and buried, and laid in the stone sarcophaguses.

 TOFET or TOPHET

The first news on the Tofet Sanctuary was published by J. Whitaker in 1921.  It dates back to the earliest period of the Phoenician settlement.
The first accounts on worship practices go back to the 8th century B.C. when the sanctuary was placed inside the wall belt.
The Tofet structure recalls a particular type of the Phoenician sanctuary whose remains can be found in some areas of the western colonial territories:  Northern Africa, Western Sicily, Sardinia.
It was a place of worship and a sanctuary in the open air. 
It is narrated that it was devoted to animal and human sacrifices. 
Its name derives from the Old Testament in which the vases found in the ground containing burnt out remains are referred to as  “…hav(ing) (it) passed through fire…”.
These containers, called urns or funerary vases, are made of earthenware of local Phoenician production, the same that was used for household use. 
They are jars, small amphoras, pots containing ashes along with small jewels and amulets. 
Worship practices continued through the 4th century B.C.
The Sanctuary’s archaeological findings with its stone steles, inscriptions, and earthenware vases can be considered as the most extensive source of information on the town. 
Names and lineages  are inscribed along with the technical documentation of the art of the sculpture and design,  gods’images, and elements of costume and handicraft.

Necropolis - open