Purgatory Church

CHURCH OF THE SOULS IN PURGATORY
Auditorium Santa Cecilia

Built on the previous site of Saint Phabian and Sebastian’s church of the 16th century, it was reconstructed by the Congregation of the Souls in Purgatory and consecrated by the Marsala bishop on  May 1st, 1711.
It is a Latin-cross church, with a high dome covered with green majolica tiles.
In the apse, flying little angels hold the Holy  Shroud, Hope and Charity stand at its sides whereas the Divine Law and Faith sit at its feet.
The façade dominates with its rich Baroque decorations and extreme beauty, along with the four twisted Corinthian columns, and the two bell towers recalling Borromini’s Architecture & Territorys on Piazza del Purgatorio (Purgatory Square).

The church, recently refurbished, is available for concerts and conferences.

Purgatory Church - open

Purgatory Church - open

Purgatory Church - open